GOAL: Get at least 7 hours of sleep every night
Arguably the most important influencer on our health is the amount of sleep we get. Less than 7 hours a night increases risk of cancer, early death, dementia and cognitive decline, and other chronic diseases. Busy is not an excuse. It might make it harder to prioritize time in our day for sleep, but it doesn’t make it impossible.
Think about this:
- How many hours of sleep do you typically get every night?
- Here’s a list of things within your control you can use to help reach your optimal sleep goal. Make a note of the ones you are currently do:
- Go to bed at a consistent time.
- Sleep in a dark and quiet room.
- Make sure your bed & bedding is as comfortable as possible.
- Hide the clock (if you are a clock watcher).
- Silence your cell phone notifications until morning. (we know, this one is hard to do)
- Establish a soothing pre-sleep routine. (stretching is a great idea)
- Do not watch TV or look at other screens while in bed.
- Listen to relaxing music or guided meditation to help fall asleep.
- Avoid caffeine after lunchtime and alcohol at night. (Again, we know this is a hard ask. But they both can destroy the quality of your sleep.)
- Let’s figure out your optimal bed time:
- What time do you have to get out of bed in the morning to make your day work?
- Including a 15 minute window to wind down/read/get settled, what time do you need to be in bed so you can get up at that time and still get 7 to 8 hours of sleep?
Which of the habits listed above will you commit to doing to improve your sleep?
If you aren’t getting the rest you need your training will suffer inside the gym and your life won’t be what it should be outside the gym.
LEARN MORE: Read “The Sleep Revolution” by Ariana Huffington
Check out all of the 5 Factors of Health
A healthy mindset is one that is growth oriented! Creating Mental Toughness A healthy mindset is one that is growth oriented (read Carol Dweck’s book “Mindset”). It is one that is able to focus on the…
GOAL: Let’s create healthy connections! We are social creatures. No matter how independent or introverted you are, you still need actual human connection. This doesn’t just mean having people you spend time with, it means…
The best advice we give to people when they ask if CrossFit is right for them is this:Figure out what works for you! The best form of exercise is the kind we can be consistent…
GOAL: Get at least 7 hours of sleep every night Arguably the most important influencer on our health is the amount of sleep we get. Less than 7 hours a night increases risk of cancer,…
GOAL: Eat real food, not too much, mostly plants. Eliminate refined carbohydrates processed foods and sugar. Our modern American diets are carb and sugar filled. Combined with our sedentary lifestyles, as a nation – we…
5 areas worth looking at to make a plan for the healthiest version of yourself. The New Year gives us a fresh start, a chance to evaluate the year behind us, take the lessons, and…